Population Dynamics and Family Change
Scientists in the SPE program conduct research on all population dynamics, including fertility, mortality, migration, and many different dimensions of family change, including marriage, childbearing, divorce, cohabitation, sexuality, family planning, health and wellbeing.
University of Michigan Campus Climate Survey
University of Michigan. 2014-2015. $22,458.
Key Personnel: William G. Axinn, PI, Mick P. Couper, Co-I, James Wagner, Co-I, Zeina Mneimneh, Co-I.
National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG)
200-2010-33976. CDC. 2010-2020. $40,058,256.
Key Personnel: Mick P. Couper, Project Director, William G. Axinn, Deputy Project Director.
Marital Processes, Husband-Wife Relationships, and Fertility Behaviors
R03 HD055976. NIH/NICHD. 2009-2011. $154,500.
Key Personnel: Dirgha J. Ghimire, PI, William G. Axinn, Co-I.
Ideational Influences on Marriage and Childbearing
R01 HD054847. NIH/NICHD. 2008-2014. $2,925,229.
Key Personnel: Arland Thornton, PI, Dirgha J. Ghimire, Co-I, Jennifer S. Barber, Co-I, William G. Axinn, Co-I.
Intergenerational Influences on Family Formation in a Changing Social Context
R01 HD032912. NIH/NICHD. 2007-2013. $2,501,948.
Key Personnel: William G. Axinn, PI, Dirgha J. Ghimire, Co-I.
Key Recent Publications
- Jennings, Elyse A. 2014. “Marital Discord and Subsequent Dissolution: Perceptions of Nepalese Wives and Husbands.” Journal of Marriage and Family 76(3):476-488. DOI. PMC4251804.
- Allendorf, Keera, and Dirgha J. Ghimire. 2013. “Determinants of Marital Quality in an Arranged Marriage Society.” Social Science Research 42(1):59-70. DOI. PMC3711098.
- Bhandari, Prem B., and Dirgha J. Ghimire. 2013. “Rural Agricultural Change and Fertility Transition in Nepal.” Rural Sociology 78(2):229-252. DOI. PMC5220587.
- Ghimire, Dirgha J., and William G. Axinn. 2013. “Marital Processes, Arranged Marriage, and Contraception to Limit Fertility.” Demography 50:1663-1686. DOI. PMC3786027.
- Brauner-Otto, Sarah R. 2013. “Attitudes about Children and Fertility Limitation Behavior.” Population Research and Policy Review 32(1):1-24. DOI. PMC3671613.
- Bhandari, Prem B. 2013. “Rural Livelihood Change? Household Capital, Community Resources and Livelihood Transition.” Rural Studies 32:126-136. DOI. PMC3772533.
- Jennings, Elyse A., and Jennifer S. Barber. 2013. “The Influence of Neighbors’ Family Size Preference on Progression to High Parity Births in Rural Nepal.” Studies in Family Planning 44(1):67-84. DOI. PMC3621985.
- Williams, Nathalie E., Dirgha J. Ghimire, William G. Axinn, Elyse A. Jennings, and Meeta S. Pradhan. 2012. “A Micro-Level Event-Centered Approach to Investigating Armed Conflict and Population Responses.” Demography 49(4):1521-1546. DOI. PMC3495997.
- Jennings, Elyse A., William G. Axinn, and Dirgha J. Ghimire. 2012. “The Effect of Parents’ Attitudes on Sons’ Marriage Timing.” American Sociological Review 77(6):923-945. DOI. PMC3590910.
- Thornton, Arland, Georgina Binstock, Kathryn M. Yount, Mohammad Jalal Abbasi-Shavazi, Dirgha J. Ghimire, and Yu Xie. 2012. “International Fertility Change: New Data and Insights from the Developmental Idealism Framework.” Demography 49(2):677-698. DOI. PMC3328099.
- Axinn, William G., and Dirgha J. Ghimire. 2011. “Social Organization, Population, and Land Use.” American Journal of Sociology 117(1):209-258. DOI. PMC3162250.
- Williams, Nathalie E., Arland Thornton, Dirgha J. Ghimire, and Linda Young-DeMarco. 2011. “Nepali Migrants to the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries: Values, Behaviors, and Plans.” Pp. 155-185 in Migrant Labour in the Persian Gulf, edited by M. Kamrava and Z. Babar. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Massey, Douglas S., Nathalie E. Williams, William G. Axinn, and Dirgha J. Ghimire. 2010. “Community Services and Out-Migration.” International Migration 48(3):1-41. DOI. PMC3146299.
- Axinn, William G., Dirgha J. Ghimire, and Jennifer S. Barber. 2008. “The Influence of Ideational Dimensions of Social Change on Family Formation in Nepal.” Pp. 251-280 in International Family Change: Ideational Perspectives, edited by R. Jayakody, A. Thornton, and W.G. Axinn. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Thornton, Arland, Georgina Binstock, and Dirgha J. Ghimire. 2008. “International Dissemination of Ideas about Development and Family Change.” Pp. 19-44 in International Family Change: Ideational Perspectives, edited by R. Jayakody, A. Thornton, and W.G. Axinn. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Brauner-Otto, Sarah R., William G. Axinn, and Dirgha J. Ghimire. 2007. “The Spread of Health Services and Fertility Transition.” Demography 44(4):747-770. DOI.
- Ghimire, Dirgha J., and William G. Axinn. 2006. “Family Change in Nepal: Evidence from Western Chitwan.” Contributions to Nepalese Studies 33(2):177-201.
- Ghimire, Dirgha J., William G. Axinn, Scott T. Yabiku, and Arland Thornton. 2006. “Social Change, Premarital Nonfamily Experience, and Spouse Choice in an Arranged Marriage Society.” American Journal of Sociology 111(4):1181-1218. DOI.
- Ghimire, Dirgha J., and Paul Mohai. 2005. “Environmentalism and Contraceptive Use: How People in Less Developed Settings Approach Environmental Issues.” Population and Environment 27(1):29-61. DOI.
- Barber, Jennifer S., and William G. Axinn. 2004. “New Ideas and Fertility Limitation: The Role of Mass Media.” Journal of Marriage and Family 66:1180-1200. DOI.
- Bhandari, Prem B. 2004. “Relative Deprivation and Migration in an Agricultural Setting of Nepal.” Population and Environment 25(5):475-499. DOI.
- Hoelter, Lynette F., William G. Axinn, and Dirgha J. Ghimire. 2004. “Social Change, Premarital Non-Family Experiences, and Marital Dynamics.” Journal of Marriage and Family 66:1131-1151. DOI.
- Barber, Jennifer S., Lisa D. Pearce, Indra Chaudhary, and Susan Gurung. 2002. “Voluntary Associations and Fertility Limitation.” Social Forces 80(4):1369-1401. DOI.
- Axinn, William G., and Jennifer S. Barber. 2001. “Mass Education and Fertility Transition.” American Sociological Review 66(4):481-505.
- Pienta, Amy Mehraban, Jennifer S. Barber, and William G. Axinn. 2001. “Social Change and Adult Children’s Attitudes toward Support of Elderly Parents: Evidence from Nepal.” Hallym International Journal of Aging 3(2):211-235.